Monday, March 2, 2009

In Like a Lion...


Well, this isn't what I was expecting for the beginning of March.

But it is nice to see some major snow this year. I received at least 6 inches in Hendersonville- I wish I took a picture of my car this morning. Actually, I really wish I bought a snow shovel yesterday!

The Farmer's Almanac has some interesting facts on the snow fall in the US. Perhaps the most interesting is that in the western US, mountain snow pack contributes up to 75 percent of all year-round surface water supplies! That is incredible.

This was the first storm I have ever experienced with thunder, lightning and snow. Someone told me that is good luck. I do feel lucky that this snow will contribute to our surface water levels (though not to the extent as in the western US) so our growers can irrigate their crops adequately this season. In Henderson County and southern Haywood and Buncombe counties we are still in a severe drought. Northern Haywood and Buncombe are listed as a moderate drought. You can view the drought monitor map of NC here.

Looking into the forecast, it appears that this snow will be gone by the end of the week with temperatures in the mid- to upper 60's. So, take a few days off from worrying about this year's growing season and enjoy a place by the fire. In a few days, when it is sunny and warm you can start worrying and tilling!