Approximately 100 people came out to learn about farm and home safety on Saturday at Henderson's Best on Saturday. The event was put together by Henderson County Cooperative Extension Service in cooperation with local partners, Blue Ridge Community Health Services, Blue Ridge Fire Dept, NC AgroMedicine Institute, Migrant Education Program of Henderson County Schools, The Healing Place, Henderson County Health Dept., the Lost Sock, Pardee Hospital and Henderson County Sheriff's Dept.
- Puppet shows and coloring projects for kids about the dangers of poisons in the home (thanks to Cintia and Nicolas)
- Home safety and proper handwashing demonstrations (thanks to Maria and Renay)
- Firehouse demonstration for kids (thanks to Blue Ridge Fire Dept.)
- Tractor safety and PTO danger demonstration (thanks to Romeo, C.B. and Jeff)
Bottom pic - Straw dummy getting destroyed in PTO shaft
- Good health and hygiene training for farm workers (thanks to Hilda)
- Heat stress symptoms and what to do to remain "cool" (thanks to Daniel and Becky and Blue Ridge Community Health Services)
Hot dogs, hamburgers, watermelon and other refreshments were complimentary to participants. Thanks to Pepsi for donating the sodas!
Top pic - Kids enjoying the refreshments
Bottom pic - Jack enjoying the watermelon on the hot day
Other topics included health screenings, migrant education information, pesticide safety, sexual assault and child abuse awareness and the danger of gangs.
Read more about the event in the Time-News article, Safety First Promoted on the Farm
Thanks again to everyone who made this a great success!
**A very special "Thank You" to Allan Henderson and his crew for being a host to the event! Without your support we couldn't have done it. **