GrowingProduce.com just reported on a new app that Apple iTunes store has just launched for smartphones that is designed for food lovers to locate farmers markets in their area.
Unfortunately, the "Farmers Market Finder" app will only help market lovers in California, Massachusetts, Florida, Delaware, Rhode Island, Virginia, Vermont, Washington D.C, Georgia, Maryland and New York.
We need this in North Carolina!
Below are some of the features of this neat new app (from the GrowingProduce.com article "Smartphones and Farmers Markets"):
"Apptika’s Farmers Market Finder apps provide a comprehensive listing of farmers markets, farms/farmstands and CSAs with:
- Address and Location Description
- Amenities (i.e. fruit, veggies, meat, bakery, prepared foods, etc)
- Months/days/hours of operation
- Website, phone and/or email contact information, if available
- Special information, when available, such as parking, winter hours, and“rain or shine” info
- Ability to save to Favorites.
The app has a built-in interactive map that utilizes geolocation to:
- Locate the farmers markets to your location
- Browse an entire state, county or metropolitan area
- Get turn-by-turn directions"